In order to obtain your Security Officer license in the State of Alaska, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a United States citizen or resident alien
- Be at least 18 years old
- Neither addicted to nor dependent on alcohol, narcotics, or other drugs
- Be without a conviction of a felony within 10 years before the date of application
- Be emotionally and mentally stable
- Complete an 8-hour pre-assignment Security Officer Training course
- Complete an additional 40 hours of in-service training within 180 days of employment
After you complete your 8-hour pre-assignment course, you then can fill out an application to become an Officer.
Applications are available online at the Public & Safety Statewide Services Permits and Licensing Unit website. (See New Security Guard Application)
After you fill out the application, it must be signed and notarized.
The following items must also accompany the application:
- One frontal view photograph of the applicant; the photograph must include the upper part of the body from the waist up; it must have been taken within the 30 days before submission; and be of a size, color, and condition that will allow the photograph to be processed in the department’s identification production equipment;
- Two sets of classifiable fingerprints;
- Proof of bonding or insurance; and
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 and the fees required for fingerprint processing, which as of 2010 are $54.25.
TOTAL FEES : $50.00 (application fee) and $54.25 for the fingerprint fee.