In the State of Colorado, an unarmed security officer must be licensed. The City Clerk’s office handles the initial application.
In order to qualify for an unarmed security officer license the following requirements must be met:
- Must be at least 18 year old
- Must be a resident of Colorado
- Must be a United States citizen or registered resident alien
- Must have a valid Colorado driver’s license or state ID card
- A valid social security card
- Must provide a medical certificate (within 60 days of filing the security guard application) stating you are physically capable of performing the duties of a security guard. Only a physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant certified by the Colorado State Board of Medical Examiners can issue this certificate.
- Proof of background check, within 30 days after filing the application.
If expected to carry a baton, mace, or a knife, the applicant must show proof of compliance of Regulation No. 7 ; there are specific rules as to the length of blade and baton.
Other Requirements that will make it easier to get hired:
- Driver’s License
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Good Communication skills
For more information, please visit Denver Business Licensing.